LumberJocks

Popular Mechanics Adirondack Chairs

  • Advertise with us
Project by Joel89 posted 08-04-2012 07:34 PM 2725 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Just finished my first set of adirondack chairs using the popular mechanics design I found online. I was inspired by someone else’s work on this website who used the same design and made a beautiful set of chairs. I’m happy with how they turned out, and as a beginner woodworker, I learned a lot along the way. As you’ll see in the pics, I don’t have a huge workshop. Since I don’t have a table saw or a jig saw, I made 95% of the cuts using a scroll saw and did the other 5% using a circular saw. Obviously not the ideal way to make consistent, straight-line cuts, but with patience and a lot of sanding it’s doable. I say all that to encourage anyone interested in getting in to woodworking but feels they lack the “necessary” tools and can’t afford to buy them. Anyway, enough rambling…enjoy the pics!

-- Joel





9 comments so far

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

11349 posts in 1730 days


#1 posted 08-04-2012 07:44 PM

Those are some real good looking chairs there joel. Where can i buy tickets for the gun show;) ?

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View kiefer's profile

kiefer

3293 posts in 1390 days


#2 posted 08-04-2012 10:33 PM

Joel
You did a excellent and professional job on these ,with the tools on hand it is very remarkable .
I am impressed and keep up the nice work and please post it !

-- Kiefer 松

View GregU's profile

GregU

16 posts in 1523 days


#3 posted 08-05-2012 02:25 AM

My compliments! You did an excellent job considering the tools you had….impressive. Greg

View Mork's profile

Mork

158 posts in 1498 days


#4 posted 08-05-2012 01:27 PM

Great job! Perhaps my chairs were the inspiration? The only thing I don’t like about mine is the profile on the front of the seat. It looks like you may have modified the radius slightly which is what mine need.

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

4157 posts in 1580 days


#5 posted 08-05-2012 01:33 PM

They are very nice

jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

View Joel89's profile

Joel89

16 posts in 902 days


#6 posted 08-05-2012 02:45 PM

Mork,
Your chairs were the inspiration! So thank you for taking the time to post the project when you did them. I probably wouldn’t have done the popular mechanics design had I not seen the great finished result. As far as the front profile, mine are different only by accident. I didn’t realize there was supposed to be an overhang until I had already attached the bottom slat, so what that meant was the first few slats had to be spaced tighter than the others. Thankfully not too noticeable of a mistake!

-- Joel

View Mork's profile

Mork

158 posts in 1498 days


#7 posted 08-05-2012 06:58 PM

Mine seem to have more of a point or hump at the end of the third slat. It isn’t very noticeable but i think it would have been more comfortable with a more round profile. I see what you mean about the overhang but you are right, it isn’t noticeable at all. I’m glad you found my project an inspiration.

View Zinderin's profile

Zinderin

94 posts in 856 days


#8 posted 08-14-2012 03:53 AM

No Table Saw? Joe, you are a stud!!! I wouldn’t even have tried it.

View Dave Carlisle's profile

Dave Carlisle

52 posts in 878 days


#9 posted 10-12-2012 03:46 AM

I started with the same plans from Popular Mechanics. I have made a few tweaks along the way. I have made and sold about 30 chairs since June. I have used cypress and stainless steel screws and added a few nuts and bolts in critical points. I have used Cabot stain found at Lowe’s. Several good colors available. Pics on website:

https://www.facebook.com/DavesAdirondacksAndWoodworking

-- Woodworking Principal

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase