|Project by cstrang||posted 504 days ago||1386 views||2 times favorited||14 comments|
First things first, sorry for the no before picture, this is a mirror that was given to me by a neighbour some years ago, he had lots of Imperial Oil memorabilia as he worked for them his whole career, he passed some things onto me as he had noticed I liked them. This mirror was sitting in my shop office for a while as it wasn’t exactly top shelf, front room quality, it had been in his basement before I had got it and had been the victim of paint flecks, dings and scratches as well as general wear and tear.
I started sanding and realized that the finish was still holding on tight, I had heard about soda blasting on the show American Restoration and wanted to give it a shot. I researched it online and read a few reviews which said it was hard on wood, raising the grain and requiring a lot of sanding after the blasting. i decided to give it a shot anyway as my mind isnt usually put an idea to rest until I try it myself. I went down to Princess Auto and bought a 14 dollar hand held sand blaster and filled it up with baking soda and started at it.
To my pleasant surprise… It worked! And well at that. I used almost a box of baking soda by the time it was done (about $3.00 worth) and about 15 or 20 minuets of my time, all in all better than sanding. I was able to get the corners of the frame with ease as well. This is obviously a must do outdoor job with a mask and glasses on, by the time it was done my summers day looked like christmas eve with all the excess baking soda on the ground. Not too bad of a clean up though, a quick fick with the blow gun and a soft wind takes care of it.
I then brought it back inside, gave it a quick sanding (5 mins) and cleaned the dust and the soda off and straight into finishing, stain and lacquer and presto! A lovely new look for an old piece.
-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.