|Project by Don Broussard||posted 07-31-2012 11:45 PM||4257 views||13 times favorited||16 comments|
I needed a leg vise, so, inspired by LJs nobuckle and Serge, I made and installed this leg vise today. The handle is a 6” diameter adjusting nut out of cedar (thanks Serge) with a 1/2” x 9” carriage bolt through its center. The vise is mounted to the workbench leg with a plate and four 7/16” x 2-1/2” lag bolts. The vise’s nut is embedded in the unseen side of the plate and is sucked up into the plate (not mortised). The vise is a piece of 2×6 PT lumber (salvaged material) and can open to 6” and is pretty solid. I need to add a garter and the bottom guide before its actually useful.
I used the technique similar to one that nobucket used for his “One Hour Moxon Vise”(http://lumberjocks.com/projects/65207) and I used the technique that Serge introduced for his “Shopmade Jig Star Knobs” (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/66198)—I just super sized the knob to 6”. The holes in the edges are 1” diameter.
The first 3 pictures speak for themselves.
Picture 4 shows the scale of the adjusting nut compared to a Stanley Bailey No. 7 jointer plane, with shavings.
Picture 5 shows the vise removed to show the plate mounted to the workbench leg. You can barely see the embedded nut in the center.
I did have a little mishap during testing. The carriage bolt started rotating within its adjusting nut, and when I tapped the carriage bolt head with a hammer, the adjusting nut split in half along the grain. I will have to find another piece of lumber to make a new adjusting nut and hub.
Thanks for the good ideas, fellow LJs. You probably don’t have any idea how many of us you impact by your encouragement and sharing of ideas to novices like me. Finally, thanks for looking and for offering your comments.
UPDATE—I made a new and larger adjusting nut. This one is 2 thicknesses of 3/4” plywood and is 12” diameter. I was trying to figure out how to sand the nut where the circles were cut out. I realized that the cutouts were the right size, so I assembled 3 of the cutouts on a bolt, chucked it up in my electric drill and sanded the spindle smooth and spray-glued some 80-grit sandpaper around it. I ended up making a manually operated spindle sander. Worked pretty well too.
Here are a couple of pictures of the new adjusting nut installed. I should really call it a dinner plate or a steering wheel though. Since I doubled the thickness of the adjusting nut as well as the chop, the useful opening of the vise is only about 2” now. I think I’ll pick up a 12” carriage bolt tomorrow. For attaching the adjusting nut, I sucked the carriage bolt through the plywood, then used a few spacers to clear the unthreaded part of the carriage bolt. I screwed a 1/2” nut onto the carriage bolt and backed it up with a jam nut. For the vise chop, I attached a second 2×4 with glue and screws and did a little work on the edges. I still need to add a garter and the lower guide. So far, so good.
UPDATE No. 2—I applied too much pressure on the leg vise and busted the nut out of it housing. When I took the picture below, I had already removed the lag screws.
I made a new housing out of purple heart, embeded the nut in the leg, put a bumper washer behind the purple heart and lag screwed it back in place. Good to go again!
-- People say I hammer like lightning. It's not that I'm fast -- it's that I never hit the same place twice!