|Project by ChrisJ||posted 07-31-2012 04:00 AM||1186 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
I worked on this for my niece…I had just enough wood (oak) to complete it without any mistakes and recuts. I was a little worried since mistakes and recuts are kind of my thing…I cut all my pieces to size and set up my jig to cut the box joints. After cutting one piece I realized that it wasn’t going to work for one reason or another (dull-ish router bit being first and foremost). Since I wasted that piece with a failed attempt at box joints I had to make do with another piece of oak that didn’t match. I decided to try a simple mitered box and this is how it turned out. I ended up having to edge glue a couple of chunks for the back of the bank. It worked out well. I decided to try some splines (outer in walnut, middle in purpleheart) and made another jig for that which I’m excited about using again. Instead of rounding over the corners like I had done before, I chamfered them and I think it’s a good look, one I’ll use again. It’s sanded to 220 and finished with Danish Oil.
Pics 1-4 are the completed bank (PO Box door is a garage sale find from my brother-in-law)
Pic 5 is my sketch-up of what I was shooting for (I think the completed project ended up better looking)