|Project by SteveL||posted 07-31-2012 02:08 AM||3814 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
This cabinet is made of cherry, cherry veneer plywood for the back, basswood for the chip-carved panels, ambrosia maple for the shelves, and ebony for the knob. In the view from the bottom, you can see that I dated the carcase 2010, but it took me a while to learn to carve the panels. Then, when I did the glue up for the door, because of the extra mortise and tenon joints on the muntins and mullions, I ended up getting it not quite square. Fortunately, I’d used hide glue, which with a bit of heat can be remelted. I used heating pads to soften the glue, then clamped it to a square frame, and this corrected most of the problem, though it’s still off by about 1/8” over the 20” width. The close mechanism is a ball catch from Brusso, and the hinges are 2” by 1.5” Brusso full-mortise hinges. As you can see, I was trying to pick up the Dard Hunter Rose pattern stenciled above the picture rail in the carved panels. The knob is turned from Gabon ebony. The carcase is dovetailed at the top, with an overhanging top screwed to the top panel. The bottom is fitted into the carcase in sliding dovetail joints. The plywood back fits in a groove inset 1/4” from the back. The mirror is 1/4” thick glass which makes the door quite heavy and there is a 1/2” bevel at the edge. The finish is boiled linseed oil, followed by 3-5 coats of thinned super-blonde de-waxed shellac, and then 2-3 coats of thinned, fast-drying polyurethane on the outside of the cabinet and the shelves. The cabinet was hung using a “French-cleat” which is just a board cut in two pieces at an angle with one half screwed to the wall and the other to the back of the cabinet. A SketchUp plan is available here.