|Project by CueballRosendaul||posted 07-31-2012 01:14 AM||1012 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
This was a neat project, but a real pain in the mortice to build. It actually started as a floating mirror with two curved shelves as is shown in the third picture with no shelf for the mirror. I used mirror adhesive on a very large H frame of oak to hold the mirror. The oak piece had a keyhole slot for mounting to the wall. I squeezed most of the tube of adhesive on it, sat my 50lb plumbing toolbox on it for a week before hanging it on the wall. It took one really humid day and about 24 hours for it to fall off. Luckily it didn’t break the mirror, but it really screwed up the wall, floor, and metal baseboard convector. I was ready to use it for target practice but I took a deep breath and a few beers out to the shop and made this third shelf with a slot to hold the mirror captive. There is a 6” wide piece of walnut screwed to the shelf, as well as 100% silicone on the back of the mirror. I couldn’t find any good info whether the silicone would screw it up, so i tested it on another small mirror and it was fine.
The two little wing shelves are mounted with a pair of long keyhole slots on the back edge of the shelf. I made a template for drilling the holes level in the wall. All three shelves are walnut with walnut stain and clear gloss lacquer. I used the curve of the mirror to lay out the curve of the shelves. The trickiest part was mounting the mirror straight on the board. I’ll need to take it all down and repaint the wall because you can see the repairs pretty easily, but that’ll have to wait. When I take it down, I’ll snap a couple pics of the mounting system and add them to the project gallery.
-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.