LumberJocks

WWMM Bench

  • Advertise with us
Project by Jeremy Greiner posted 733 days ago 1942 views 6 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I made this bench a while ago right after Steve Ramsey made his video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaSHA_pgWQA I wanted to make it for my friend Dan for his Florida room (fancy talk for screened in porch). I made it, but his wife couldn’t decide on a color to paint it so it sat in my garage. She wanted to wait until they closed on a new house they wanted to buy and have it painted to match. I planned on making a matching set of chairs and an end table as well, but I didn’t want those sitting in my garage too so I held off on that. Last weekend I decided that I’d keep this bench myself and put it on my front porch. I can make him a new one when he gets his house :)

I milled the 2×4’s down to 1 1/4’’ thick so I had flat wood to work with, I also tapered the legs and rounded the ends of the arm rest and back of the bench (you can see this best in picture 4). I used pocket screws everywhere like Steve did, but I didn’t brad nail the slats down to the base. My original plan was to remove the seat of the bench and just varnish it with no paint while I painted to rest so it would have a contrasting color. Well this was a very difficult thing to do. Once I removed it I determined it was pretty impossible to get it back into place without damaging the paint so I removed the blue tape and got the seat back in (with a lot of help from my Dad who was visiting last weekend).

I sprayed with my HVLP machine again, which certainly made it fast .. but I thinned the latex paint too much. My original recipe I found online that I mentioned in a previous blog post had the orange peal problem (which I thought was the latex paint until I just watched a finishing DVD I borrowed from my wood workers guild). I learned that I just needed to thin the mixture more .. so I reversed the paint and water based poly ratio.

So this time I used:
10 oz paint
5 oz flotrol
20 oz water based poly

It was way too thin, I had problems with not getting enough paint on the bench which made me want to spray too much which caused runs .. etc.. I did 2 containers of this mixture .. so 70oz of paint/poly and it still wasn’t thick enough to cover up the words on the fir stripping that you can see through the white paint. I did about 7 coats and it just wasn’t enough paint .. but really I should have not been lazy and sanded them off.

I learned another way NOT to spray poly/latex but I think I’m getting closer .. I had no orange peal effect this time. Next time I will also paint the slats before attaching them, or I’ll have to brush paint it. Trying to get into those cracks with the spray gun just doesn’t work very well.

Overall, the bench sits flat with no wobble, and it holds a person (generously tested by my younger sister in the second picture who was visiting yesterday and today) without collapsing. What more can you ask for right?

-jeremy

-- Easy to use end grain cutting board designer: http://www.1024studios.com/cuttingboard.html





4 comments so far

View workerinwood's profile

workerinwood

2708 posts in 1671 days


#1 posted 732 days ago

Great design and build!

-- Jack, Albuquerque

View woodshaver's profile

woodshaver

2738 posts in 1957 days


#2 posted 732 days ago

Nice looking bench. Trial and error, live and lean but never give up! We are all working to be better at what we do.
Your bench looks sturdy and I like the simple design. Oh! And the cute model gives the bench prospective!

-- Tony C , My high school shop teacher said "You can do it"... Now I can't stop!

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

1488 posts in 1031 days


#3 posted 732 days ago

I know what you mean when you are trying to get a spray gun to work the first time out. It is nerve wracking with all the expectations imposed, (now you have a spray gun the results are going to be perfect right?) and not to mention the commitiment you have in the expense of the equipment, well not so fast guys…. here’s what I found worked fairly well for me.
I sprayed my bath remodel trim work with my Capspray 9100.
I used 75%PVA paint and 25% Flotrol.
I got (great) hmmm… results on a vertical surface (beadboard) you can see the what happened on my cabinet project.
Next time I will experiment by adding a small amount of water.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View Stevinmarin's profile

Stevinmarin

837 posts in 1679 days


#4 posted 728 days ago

Yay! That looks great! I love seeing all the people who have made this bench and they ways they have modified it too.

-- Entertainment for mere mortal woodworkers. http://www.WoodworkingForMereMortals.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase