|Project by KnickKnack||posted 07-27-2012 10:18 AM||2658 views||16 times favorited||18 comments|
I was looking for a small, challenging project to practice (or develop) my joinery skills – I figure by now I ought be able to put bits of wood together in a half-decent way.
I actually tried this “finger mitre spline” joint (maybe it has a proper name, but I don’t know what it is) a year or so ago on a tray that never saw the light of day – it was just too bad to be worth finishing – so I thought I’d revisit it in another context – that extra fatness at the 45° join seemed to be begging for a cigarette to be laid on it, so here it is. Of course, I used my magic 45° router table jig to do this…
I carefully bookmatched the ash end grain, but that all fudged out when the finish got put on – another thread suggested shellac to preserve the end grain colouring, so I’ll try that when I can find some.
I forgot (again!) that things at 45° need to be longer, which is why the joining blocks don’t extend fully into the holes on the inside. I think that’s 4 times I’ve made that mistake now – you would have thought that someone with a Mathematics degree would know better, or would at least have learnt better – but obviously not!
I’d hoped that, by using the oak in strips with the “quartersawn bit” turned upwards, I’d get some good action on the flecks, and, for once, that worked. I fumed it, then sanded with 600 until the flecks got back to their original colour, but not so much that I didn’t sand through the dark on the non-flecks.
The red is somewhat darker and richer than you see in the pictures.
Ash and fumed oak. About 15cm square x 35mm high. Linseed oil finish.
As always – comments, thoughts, criticisms, suggestions for improvements most most most welcome.
-- "Do not speak – unless it improves on silence." --- "Following the rules and protecting the regulations is binding oneself without rope."