|Project by Julian||posted 07-26-2012 03:31 AM||5410 views||25 times favorited||29 comments|
The open space underneath my workbench was the most practical place to put some drawers. Now I have the tools that I use the most at the workbench within arms reach. This project took several months to complete because I did not have much time between work, completing projects on the “honey do” list, and just life in general. This project was my first opportunity to practice hand cut dovetails and work with veneer in over 30 years.
I used paper backed veneer and contact cement which worked out pretty well. The center veneer is flat cut sapele and the other is ribbon cut sapele. The black strip is the ribbon sapele dyed with black ink. I was too cheap to buy black dyed veneer. The cock beaded around the drawers is mahogony with red mahogony stain. All finished with clear shellac; about 4-5 coats.