|Project by wing1319||posted 07-25-2012 03:46 PM||4102 views||13 times favorited||8 comments|
I needed a new spot for my growing pipe clamp collection. I tossed around a few ideas and this is what I came up with. I settled on a horizontal configuration after seeing a similar take after going through google images. I didn’t want to take up too much vertical wall space either (by storing the pipes vertically). And to store more in less space, I made two frames and connected them one in front of the other at the top with a piano hinge.
The material is some leftover 5/4×4 T&G CVG Fir flooring. It’s definitely one of my favorite woods. It’s beautiful and great to work with. I ripped off the tongues and grooves and planed it down to just over an inch thick. The frames are joined with dovetails (the rear frame also has a hanging cleat mortised and tenoned into the side members. The holes were drilled with an 1-1/8” forstner bit and the slots cut away on the bandsaw. I routed a rabbet for the piano hinge so the frames would sit tight together.
I was a little worried about the weight of the clamps (especially at the piano hinge), but it’s been up for two weeks now and no sagging issues (yet). I did a Sketchup model if anyone is interested I can send it to you.
Thanks for looking.