|Project by Mikesawdust||posted 07-24-2012 06:55 PM||1163 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
I made this for an upcoming charity auction, along with two others I’m still working on. The tops for all three were recovered wood from an antique tabletop I pulled from the load to be tossed when they were cleaning the woodshop. Once I stripped the finish and sanded it I was shocked to find a really nice piece if quartersawn white oak. I did this top and the other two with my carvewright. After carving them the details were a little obscure due to the light color of the wood. I decided on this one to add some color with paint and then sand it back a little to give it a rougher look. The sides were mitered sapele with routing on the upper and lower edge. I also mitered the rear for the hinge area as a quick way to stop the lid in an open position. I finished the whole thing with a poly seal coat.