LumberJocks

Redeemed Sappy Black walnut Media Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Project by Jose A.Berenguer posted 07-24-2012 01:42 AM 2431 views 6 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This piece is made 99% of Sappy Black Walnut, the other 1% woods are bloodwood and holly on the handles. I took a load of nice but sappy walnut because it was cheap since no one wanted it. So, after setting a few weeks on my wood rack, I had the thought to make something usefull out something no body wanted and then the inspiration came in a flash, that the Walnut althoughit had many colors, (brown red and yellow black and white) All came from the same tree, same twigs same branches same roots. This piece represents all humans no matter what color of skin or culture, we all come from the same source, same Creator.
This pictures were taken shortly after the finish and therefore the glass on the doors is not yet installed.

The patterns are made by mitering laminates in any angle and regluing the new pattern. I did that 3 times(3 generations) except the sides wich have two generations.The backis ship lap. The made designs in the drawer bottoms from the leftover of the miter laminate. The finish is laquer.

-- In fine furniture 10% of the work, takes 90% of the time. www.berenguerfurniture.com





8 comments so far

View MonteCristo's profile

MonteCristo

2097 posts in 875 days


#1 posted 07-24-2012 02:12 AM

Very unusual piece. Looks like something Picasso might go for.

-- Dwight - "Free legal advice available - contact Dewey, Cheetam & Howe""

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

11228 posts in 1376 days


#2 posted 07-24-2012 03:10 AM

That is certainly a unique, one of a kind media cabinet. It looks like you have an unbelievable amount of time and work invested in this. Someone, somewhere would pay a lot for this one. I liked your story re: the inspiration for this piece.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View SirSalamander's profile

SirSalamander

13 posts in 995 days


#3 posted 07-24-2012 03:58 AM

Truly and excellently well designed piece. Super modern and striking, yet aesthetically comforting.

View tsangell's profile

tsangell

211 posts in 1379 days


#4 posted 07-24-2012 04:21 AM

I hope it survives the wood movement, because that thing is awesome.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

2267 posts in 1702 days


#5 posted 07-24-2012 09:58 AM

Quite clever & a great use of the wood. But I must say, I could not live with it in my living room. Maybe someone who has a huge space. I really like it, tho.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2151 days


#6 posted 07-24-2012 12:03 PM

This is an amazing piece! I could stare at it for hours just following the flow of the pieces and parts. Really cool!!

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Philip's profile

Philip

1139 posts in 1225 days


#7 posted 07-25-2012 09:52 PM

That is a very interestImg piece and a good message. Well done.

-- If you can dream it, I can do it!

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

11728 posts in 1792 days


#8 posted 07-28-2012 05:11 PM

Nice unique piece. I’ll be you go through lots of glue!!!!!!!!!...............Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase