|Project by Seeharlez||posted 07-23-2012 02:15 AM||5785 views||2 times favorited||8 comments|
Some said it was a bad idea, some said why not pay someone to do it, stairs are really hard… but I never listen to “those” people…
In actual fact, it was quite difficult and took a lot of patience. I used pre-stained hardwood (actually bamboo stained to look like brazillian walnut – got it for a screamin deal…) and the nosing I made from beech which was also on clearance at the local dealer. The biggest challenge in doing stairs is working with surfaces that are way out of square. I had to make a little jig to measure the exact length and angle of each strip and then transfer the measurements and cut each one to exact size on the table saw. If you have ever noticed a DYI stair refinish where there is quarter round along all the corners, its because it’s very time consuming to get each piece to fit correctly. In the end it came out great. the largest gap anywhere is probably less than 1/32”.
The other challenge was cutting the skirting to fit well and then shimming it against the wall to try and get it relatively straight. The skirting is made from 1/2” MDF and just simple corner trim from lowes.
This was also the first project I got to use my new router table on (Router table). Since then I have used it a lot and I don’t know what I would do without it now!
The nosing is stained using an mixed analine dye from LV and top coated with 5 coats of diamond varathane floor finish – semi-gloss.
I still have some trim work to do on the landing but I am waiting to complete the other side of the stairs (there are 2 sets of stairs leading up to the common landing.) You can see the before pic (dirty beige burber carpet) in pic 6.
Of course before doing anything I sketched it all up in sketchup – mainly because I was concerned about how the two-tone would look.Now that it’s done I’m really happy with the final look.
Thanks for looking!
-- Greg - Vancouver, BC