|Project by mackcr||posted 513 days ago||1299 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
I started with the Family Traditions plan for a large rocking horse. I deviated slightly from the plans by using 8/4 wood in place of the 3/4 wood the plans called for. The larger wood gave the horse a little more of a three dimensional appearance.
The horse and rockers are made from Ambrosia Maple. The saddle, harness, handles and eyes are made of Walnut. The mane and tail trim pieces are cherry I had left over from another project.
The eyes are the only part of the rocking horse that was stained; an ebony stain was used. For the finish I used a shellac as a sanding sealer and four coats of polyurethane. I still need to rub out the finish but I will let the poly cure for a couple of weeks.