|Project by Milo||posted 07-21-2012 07:47 PM||4560 views||13 times favorited||14 comments|
I wanted to share my latest project, my rolling tool cart which I built using plans I got from Woodsmith Plans. Officially it’s the “Slant-Front Tool Cart”.
As with all magazine based plans, they want you to use cabinet grade wood, $50 casters, $25 accuglide drawer slides. Well, I didn’t. If I’d done that, I could have bought a HF tool box instead. As you can see, I used BC grade ply. I almost bought AC, but the BC sitting right next to it looked really good, so I saved the bucks and went with that. I also used more conventional drawer slides, saving money there, and went with knobs for my drawers instead of sash pulls.
All in all, I am pleased with the final product. I don’t know if it was me or the cutlist, but I ended up having to cut down some of my drawer height to make everything fit, particularly for the small top tool chest. I built the carcass and drawers first, so cutting the finished drawers down was really not that big a deal. I am still not sure were the error lay though, me or the plans. Probably me.
I thought the top tool chest was designed poorly. It was a PAIN to put together. I think a simpler box would have worked a lot better. If you consider making this, really look at the top tool chest plans carefully and consider doing it another way. Carcass and Drawer design was pretty straight forward though.
All in all I am pleased. I plan on loading this thing up with everything I need and getting rid of a lot of duplicates and substandard stuff I have.
Hope you enjoy,
-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...