LumberJocks

commerative picture frame

  • Advertise with us
Project by joejt posted 07-15-2012 09:06 PM 741 views 3 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This picture frame for a WWII P-51 Mustang print took more time than expected, but in the end it was good. I made this frame of African Mahogany and wanted to finish it to a brown color with reddish tones. I made the frame to fit and proceeded to shape the moulding to match an airplane wing shape. Unfortunately, I exposed the biscuits/splines in the corners. To fix the error, I made some Walnut chevron patches and inlaid them in the corners. I cut the inlay cavity with hand chisels, and planed and sanded the insert to be flush with the shape of the moulding.

The walnut corners were dyed with water based aniline ebony dye, then taped to protect from the finishing process on the rest of the frame. The Mahogany frame was first colored with a mix of Acetone-based Medium red mahogany dye mixed 1 part in 50 with de-waxed shellac. That gave the frame a pink-red base color. Then I topped with a gel stain glaze and dry-brushed to add some light brown to the color. The final finish is gloss lacquer. The final color is complementary to the colors in the print.

-- joejt





2 comments so far

View PatBrownfield's profile

PatBrownfield

50 posts in 981 days


#1 posted 07-16-2012 01:21 AM

Great looking frame nice work

-- Pat Brownfield Westland,Michigan

View dnick's profile

dnick

922 posts in 1048 days


#2 posted 07-16-2012 02:59 AM

That’s a nice job. Attention to detail always pays off.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase