|Project by macpiper||posted 04-13-2008 06:42 PM||2752 views||9 times favorited||17 comments|
Here it is! finally….the finish is a coat of shellac followed by 3 coats (4 on the top) of a wipe-on varnish and finished with a coat of wax (i used a brown wax on the lighter legs to bring them closer in color to the darker legs). i wish i could take credit for thinking of that finish, but i pulled it from FWW #196. never having finished anything before i wish i could have seen someone deal with the varnish (ie: how long to let it set before wiping away excess, how much to wipe away, how to deal with joints, etc.), but i think it turned out pretty good for my first go around. the padauk is really iridescent at the right angle. although, i am now trying to figure out how best to recycle the used rags instead of just adding to landfill. :)
i said on the first posting that i the legs were mahogany, but i actually think they are walnut. i can’t remember. the other woods are padauk and beech. if you want to read more about this table check out the first posting i made on it (pre-finish).