|Project by Andrew||posted 07-14-2012 02:44 PM||5867 views||16 times favorited||14 comments|
Like them, I did not want to spend $200 on the overarm dust collection assembly. This is made out of 1.25” EMT tubing (painted black), some bolts, nuts and star knobs. Oh, and paint of course :)
It seems to be quite effective, even on my temporary hookup to my shop-vac.
I made two small modifications to Paul-Marcel’s design:
1. T-Nuts on the bottom of the box to accept the bolts
2. Beam Hangers to attach the box to the rail so I wouldn’t have to drill holes. I will have to mod this slightly, as the star knobs sit about 1/8” proud of the TS surface (oops).
It’s basically a box/column that just fits the EMT tubing. It has a kerf cut into it, and the star knobs/bolts/t-nuts squeeze the box closed on the kerf, preventing the contraption from rotating backwards. Loosening those knobs allows the whole assembly to rotate backwards out of the way. *Edit – some counterbored holes slightly bigger than the shaft of the star knobs took care of it.
It’s two straight pieces of EMT and two elbows, all joined with EMT compression couplings. The white hose is 1.5” spa/pool hose which fits perfectly on both the EMT and the blade guard dust port.
There is a blast gate on the bottom to regulate how much suction comes through (lower) cabinet dust port.i have to leave it mostly closed in order to get good suction from above the TS. When I get this moved from the shop vac to the DC, I expect to be able to leave this a little more open.
This project cost about $50, instead of $200+tax, and I think it’s more functional than the SawStop version.
Thanks for looking.
-- Andrew - Albany. NY