|Project by Eric||posted 07-14-2012 01:49 PM||1553 views||5 times favorited||9 comments|
Here’s a small table inspired by by the Woodsmith hall table. (http://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/issues/104)
It was drastically downsized to replace a small table beside my parents’ refidgerator. (See photo with a pop can for scale reference.) It is made from hard maple dyed and stained to have a cherry look. The top coat is laquer.
The most challenging part of this table was the lower shelf. Notched were required on all four corners of the lower shelf. These notches were to set into more notches cut into the inside corner of each leg. The remaining short edge of the shelf sits in a rabbit cut into the lower rails.
Another challenge was cutting the bevel in the top. (Hey Steve Ramsey- I used biscuits to join three pieces together for the top.) I cut the end grain bevel with a 60 tooth finishing blade in the table was with an extra high auxiliary fence. I switched to a rip blade to cut the long-edge bevel. My concern was the finishing blade would leave burn marks moving that slow and cutting that long. Afterall cutting at a bevek made for a deeper overall cut. Well, the rip blade did fine, but of course it left some rough saw marks. These were difficult to sand out. I couldn’t run the bevel cut through the jointer due to the angle and orientation of the bevel to the face of the workpiece. Anyone have better ideas on how to do this?
I tried 2 different glue up methods. 1) Let the glue dry (somewhat) and scrape it off. 2) Wipe the glue off immediately with a moist rag. I much prefer method #2. Areas with glue squeeze-out that I let partially dry before cleaning did not take the dye and stain the same as the rest of the table. For my next project, I’m considering staining and finishing each piece individually then put it together. I think this will make it easier to stain and wet sand and the laquer finish might offer some protection from discoloration from glue squeeze-out. (Those spindles were very challenging to get stain and wet sand!)
This was a fun project and it only took about $20-$25 of lumber. Thanks to Kookaburra Kay for your help on this one.