|Project by RGtools||posted 07-09-2012 03:48 PM||1694 views||6 times favorited||10 comments|
Sorry about the photographs. The lighting was not my friend on some of these. This is a fun project that would be great practice for traditional joinery in context with room for error. I have some decorative elements I need to do to this should I ever get time…but the unit needed to be put to use so I may complete those this winter.
Some statistics on the project.
24 mortice and tenon joints all draw-bored.
28 Dovetails, cut to varying levels of quality (most were quick and dirty pins first with fully coped baselines…a great way to get a strong joint fast if you are not worried about the aesthetics of the joint)
18 components for the rack.
56 components for the trays.
The rack is hand tool only. The trays were made in hybrid mode due to the sheer number of matching components (face & edge 1 flattened with a jack plane, planed to thickness with lunchbox planer. Sawed to width on table saw). The joints were cut by hand for practice and experimentation purposes (And because I hate using the router for this).
The mesh (window screening material works better than cheese cloth) is secured with runners nailed to the dovetailed trays. The key here is you are trying to encourage airflow. I posted a bit about the trays earlier.
I used Alder for most of the project, but ran out due to some home repairs that took priority over my stash of wood. This is why you will also find components made of Walnut, Hemlock and Hickory. The all Alder trays with Hickory runners ought to outlast me and I think they look better than the two tone trays.
I think you could get way with 2 more bays of trays without reducing airflow, that’s all I would change. Since this is to handle food, I did not apply a finish. I would use walnut butcher block oil if I were to add anything.
Set in a warm room, sopping wet mint is dry enough for good tea in about 3 days.
-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan