|Project by RGtools||posted 07-09-2012 03:41 AM||1762 views||2 times favorited||12 comments|
While waiting for the glue to dry on the table top for the class I had a few hours to kill in my shop. While trying to think of a quick project to pass the time, my wife came in and stole my mallet to pound in some garden stakes.
This is a very quick and sturdy design. I started with two blocks of walnut and a tapered piece of beech. I clamped the walnut together after roughly squaring it and drilled holes for two drawbore pins to hold the pieces together while laying out the joint. I used a pencil to lay out the joints and it has a gap here and there but is still quite strong. I used a saw and chisel to waste out the two dados that become this mortise for the handle and glued the works together with the pins to serve as guide dowels. I shaped the handle with a spoke shave and it is favored for my lefty wife.
Once the head was dry, I took the pins out and worked the handle in has far as it could go…then I used the holes to make my marks and drilled offset towards the top of the handle. With the pins driven in the wedge is pulled as tight as it ever need be…not glue, just some engineering.
Only trouble is….my wife’s mallet is nicer than mine.
-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan