|Project by BertFlores58||posted 07-09-2012 02:37 AM||2362 views||4 times favorited||19 comments|
It has been a long time since my last project posted. However, it doesn’t mean that I stopped woodworking. It was just a break.
Here is one of those skills that I had developed:
1) Making the star. Manually cut and planed to suit the correct angle and combination of wood. Along with this cutting is the grain orientation that you need to arrange accordingly. I tried other techniques using miter saw but it is just a waste of time for making the jigs rather than cutting them by hand.
2) Making the wooden hinge. I owe the technique from Paul and Martyn. They were both great in doing the hinge using grooves. In cutting the groove, I used 1/8” and done it on the side but not on the edge. It was difficult to control the snapping and tear out during the cutting of the recessess (just like cutting a dovetail or box joint). The fitted on the starbox was this method, and I will not do it again for better reasons.
Here below is the technique using the edge… much better..
3) PENTAGON - The worst thing is how to clamp it and manage to glue it. Again the magic of masking tape made it easy. The shape is stable once dry but there is a danger in handling it and because of this, I use portable grinder (with sanding disc installed) and portable sander.
4) POLYURETHANE finished. I found that the aerosol type will not allow a second coat even dry. the first coat was burnt and I have to repeat again. I used sanding sealer then one spray of polyurethane. Nothing follows. If ever, I have a violin wax to top it after several weeks to allow the poly to dry and cure.
Size: 5 1/2 diameter of Pentagon point side x 3 inches height
Wood: NARRA, Lauan
Well, at least my wife Agnes wants to own it rather than giving it to others. Anyway, she is the star of my life that gives light in our family.
Thanks to all and hope you like it.