|Project by rance||posted 747 days ago||1350 views||8 times favorited||14 comments|
I thought I could just plink this easy project together, but alas, it wasn’t to be.
I had the pieces all cut out and laid out on the bench and my buddy came over and asked why I didn’t miter the corners of the Maple. Well, I was just carrying the overlap theme onto the Maple as well. I thought about it for almost a microsecond and took them to the TS and mitered them. I really like the effect much better.
Then came assembling it. I wanted the Cherry raised from the back by a bit so I ripped some strips for it to lay on during assembly. That worked pretty well. I glued up the 4 miters the night before so it was just a matter of gluing and pin nailing them in place. The first side goes well, but you have to sorta toe-nail the 2nd face. Well, on the first one, the gun kicked a bit and left the pin sticking out a bit. I got my spring-loaded punch and tried to fix it, but darned if it still doesn’t show. Oh well, mount it up higher so it will never be seen.
So here it is. Comments and constructive criticisms always welcome.
Brazillian Cherry(Flooring from a Dumpster find)
Soft Maple(leftovers from another project)
Edit: I added a couple of SketchUp views to fully show how the Cherry is raised from the back.
-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--