|Project by Lenny||posted 07-07-2012 at 12:02 PM||3432 views||33 times favorited||23 comments|
This drill press table is fashioned after one made by fellow LJ pintodeluxe. I made a favorite of his with the intention of making it one day. Back in November, I got a great buy on a new Ridgid 15” drill press via Craigslist. This replaced my 13” Craftsman drill press that served me so well for many years. As pintodeluxe pointed out on his project post, the basic plans for this came from Woodsmith magazine. Rather than MDF laminations, I made the table top from ¾” melamine I had lying around. I surrounded the melamine with ash using biscuits and glue. The carcass of the unit is made from ½” Baltic birch ply. The bottom is bolted to the metal table via carriage bolts, large washers and wing nuts. It does not interfere with the crank used to raise/lower the table. I liked the idea of the dust collection compartment and the removable inserts so I incorporated them into mine. I don’t use my drill press too often compared to other shop tools. For that reason I did not bother with a blast gate and dedicated dust collection hose. I just cut the hole at the back to fit a standard 4” hose connector and will grab a hose from another tool when needed. I bought 24” T-track, star knobs and hold-downs when they were on sale at Rockler and I had a 36” length of gold T-track from Woodcraft purchased long ago.
I’ve read that drill presses are made with machinists in mind, thus, the small metal table. This table provides a 31-1/2” wide by 17” deep surface. Some of that depth is lost with the fence in place but it can be removed if necessary. In place, the fence provides a point of reference and with a stop block, you can drill repetitive holes. The drawer is only 6” wide but is 27” long and 3” deep. It will be handy for holding bits, replacement inserts, the chuck key, etc. The area of my shop where the drill press sits is a bit congested. I know if I applied a surface knob or handle to the drawer, I would surely be bumping into it. So, I routed a finger pull underneath the center of the drawer face. I finished the project with a few coats of Minwax waterbased polyurethane. My thanks to pintodeluxe for the inspiration.
-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI