LumberJocks

Walnut Credenza

  • Advertise with us
Project by Blair Helgason posted 07-06-2012 10:01 PM 1737 views 9 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Well, finally I found the time to post this project. It was a big one.

It’s basically a reproduction of a cabinet that my Grandfather made in the early 60’s. It’s made from high quality walnut plywood, soild walnut and some birch for the the drawers and shelves. The finish is Watco Danish Oil (natural) and Bees Wax polish.

Overall, it went fairly well with very few mistakes. I could go into a lot more detail but I’m not really in the writing mood. Anyways, hope you enjoy and feel free to ask lots of questions if you have any.

Thanks for listening!

P.S. I’ll post some better final pics once I have them. Sorry for the crappy finished shot.

-- Blair





8 comments so far

View KenBry's profile

KenBry

449 posts in 1196 days


#1 posted 07-06-2012 10:46 PM

Nice work, I’d say more but I don’t feel like writing it. :-P LOL

-- Ken, USAF MSgt, Ret.

View Blair Helgason's profile

Blair Helgason

169 posts in 2163 days


#2 posted 07-06-2012 10:46 PM

Ha Ha, thanks for the comment!

-- Blair

View tonny's profile

tonny

15 posts in 1040 days


#3 posted 07-06-2012 11:59 PM

Really nice Job!! I added to my favorites.

View workerinwood's profile

workerinwood

2715 posts in 1816 days


#4 posted 07-07-2012 01:00 PM

Well done, great job!!

-- Jack, Albuquerque

View RyanS's profile

RyanS

13 posts in 939 days


#5 posted 07-08-2012 12:50 AM

Really fantastic, I’ve added it to my favorites. I’d like to see more detail about how you did the sliding doors, and what method you used to cover the plywood edges (solid or edged?). I’m impressed with the splined miters, was it difficult to get the splines in the right place to keep the miters aligned?

View WRAAdesign's profile

WRAAdesign

46 posts in 1147 days


#6 posted 07-08-2012 03:04 PM

Your grandfather has a great eye!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/WRAAdesign/142679579165522

View Blair Helgason's profile

Blair Helgason

169 posts in 2163 days


#7 posted 07-09-2012 01:15 AM

RyanS,

The sliding doors were fairly simple. I just milled down some 3/16” walnut strips for the rails and in the top of the base. The doors have a matching groove on the under side. The top of the door and underside of the cabinet have corresponding dodoes with lots of clearance so I can lift the doors and take them right out.

The splined mitres were a bit tricky. I cut the mitres first of the table saw, then flipped the piece over and cut the slots. One side was not aligning properly so I had the cut the slot with some wiggle room which was not ideal. In the end I shot some pins into the sides so I’m pretty sure that held everything together, at least until the glue set. I think if I took more time on the table saw and moved more slowly it would have turned out better.

Thanks for your interest. Answering questions is a lot easier than just talking about your work.

-- Blair

View Blair Helgason's profile

Blair Helgason

169 posts in 2163 days


#8 posted 07-09-2012 02:07 AM

UPDATE: New pic of the final has been uploaded.

-- Blair

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase