|Project by Oldelm||posted 06-29-2012 03:18 PM||1850 views||4 times favorited||11 comments|
I made this unit to match a desk I made for my wife’s new office setup. She wanted storage space but not file cabinets. She found something she liked but we could not find a unit to fit. The drawer faces and the base are oak, the boxes are 3/4 oak ply, the doors and drawers boxes are BB ply (that is what I had). I decided to tery water base finishes. I used the same color minwax stain as the desk I made, and Minwax Polycrylic semi gloss as the top coats. The finishes worked okay, the stain penetration was not as good and it took five coats on the solid wood parts to satisfy me (3 coats on the sheet goods was okay). I think the water based poly is fine for utilitarion pieces that I usually make but it is different in appearance. My next project is going to be a TV console of walnut and maple. I don,t think I will used the water based finishes for that project.
-- Jim, Missouri