|Project by Rickterscale||posted 06-25-2012 04:17 PM||2600 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
Just finished this coffee table. This is my first furniture project entirely of my own design. Woods are genuine mahogany, black walnut (from Missouri, I’m told), and zebrawood veneer for the inlay. The mahogany top uses two 11” wide boards with a little figure in them, which may come through a little in a pic or two. The walnut has some great ribbon striping that I hadn’t seen in walnut before. I had some zebrawood veneer on hand, which I thought would look good inlaid into the top. The inlay process was pretty easy. I also found it very easy to sand right through the veneer on a couple occasions, necessitating some repairs two different times.
Mortise and tenon joinery for the legs and stretchers. 1” long tenons on the breadboard ends, with brass pins to hold them in place. Just a little glue in the center to allow for wood movement. Top is attached with tongue-and-groove blocks, also to allow for wood movement.
I filled the grain on the top with a pumice (4f) and BLO slurry. It filled the grain well, and doesn’t muddy or obscure the figure in the wood too much either, but left a rough surface that was tough to sand down because it clogged the sandpaper so fast. I went through a lot of sand paper before I figured out that simply rubbing the top with a sanding disk cleaner quickly and easily removes the dried excess filler.
Finish is one coat BLO, one coat amber shellac, 6 or so coats of satin arm-r-seal, then Renaissance wax.
Dimensions: top 27.5” x 50”; legs 17.25” high.
Comments and critiques welcomed.