|Project by Chris||posted 06-25-2012 01:07 AM||1817 views||3 times favorited||2 comments|
I finally got around to making a table for my Jet drill press, something I’ve had on my to-do list forever. Pic 1 is clamping the two 3/4 inch MDF pieces of the table together. Used a significant fraction of my clamps for it, including my deep reach to get the middle. Pic 2 is the finshed table with fence. Pic 3 is the underside of the cast Jet table with the new table mounted. The slots in the steel table were wide enough that I was uncomfortable with fender washers and so made some 1/2 plywood inserts to spread the load. Pic 4 is the first layer of the top on the MDF for the second layer – I finished the first and used it for a template for the second. Pic 5 is a view of the slot on the right side of the table that allows me to operate the elevation crank for the table without busting my knuckles. I took the general outline concept of the top from a recent article in one of the woodworking mags, not sure which one (it’s lying down in the shop right now, maybe I’ll update this later).
The 6 plugs you can see in Pic 2 are covering the carriage bolts I used to hold the top to the steel drill platform. It would have been better if I had figured that part out before gluing the top together, but it’s still functional if not great looking. It’s a drill press, after all.
Thanks for looking.