|Project by lightweightladylefty||posted 04-08-2008 07:39 AM||3384 views||1 time favorited||10 comments|
I was asked by an employee of our local nursing home where I volunteer to design and build a pulpit to replace one that had been built many years earlier out of paneling and plywood. They wanted something of a similar size and function to the old one so I based my design roughly on its dimensions. Since I have volunteered there for many years providing the music for their Thursday worship services, they were aware of my passion for woodworking as well as for the Lord’s work.
Even though we were working on our kitchen at the time, my husband agreed that I should take a break and use the opportunity to learn a few more skills. I was able to try a few firsts for me: the cove molding at the base was made on the tablesaw; the sides were joined to the front with splined miters; and it was my first attempt at applying an onlay.
The skirt at the base conceals casters which make it (relatively) easy to move since it is stored in a room separate from where it is used. (It is easier to move now that I’ve convinced them not to attempt to double its weight by using every square inch of space inside to store 100 pounds of books!)
The opening in the back of the top portion gives quick storage for the Bible or hymn book when not in use by the pastor. There is also a pencil groove cut across the flat portion of the top.
I completed this project in the days before I knew about SketchUp’s free download. It would have been easier with the computer and I’m sure I would have eliminated some extra steps, especially in connecting the base to the carcass. (If I had made the carcass a little longer at the bottom, I could have alleviated building up the base to the top of the cove molding.)
-- Jesus is the ONLY reason for ANY season.