|Project by tinnman65||posted 06-21-2012 02:11 AM||1540 views||4 times favorited||13 comments|
I made these boxes for the annual Lily art show at the local pottery gallery. It seems like I’ve done a lot of these lily projects and some might think I really like doing lilies but the truth is I like the show and wanted to make sure I had something to enter. These boxes are my first attempt at using the packet cutting method in my marquetry. I normally use the double bevel method because that was the way I first learned. There was originally three but I scraped one after trying to add some veins to the leafs but it just didn’t work. Next time I will use a wood with less grain for the leafs, I thought the curly grain would give it depth. I definitely learned a few things doing this and really like this method of marquetry. the biggest problem is keeping track of all those little pieces
and separating the good from the waste, this pic is only about half of them!These little boxes are at about a 7” radius and 4” tall. One is walnut &walnut burl and the other is mahogany. I made the lift out shelf’s because it just seemed to deep for a box of this size. I don’t have much experience in box making but I do have a whole new respect for the folks that do ,these things kicked my but LOL!
-- Paul--- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. — Scott Adams