|Project by glatzenator||posted 06-18-2012 01:04 AM||2000 views||8 times favorited||13 comments|
A couple months ago I took a good look at the pallets we had stacked up at work and I saw that some of them were made of nice hardwoods, and not in bad shape. Most of it was red oak but I think there’s some white thrown in there too. I brought the best-looking pallets home and started pulling them apart which is a huge pain if you’ve ever tried it.
I didn’t have a planer or jointer to work with so I used a handplane to roughly flatten the boards enough to rip them on the table saw. I had a Stanley #3 bench plane from somewhere around 1912 that I restored last year, probably would have been better to have a longer plane, but this did the job pretty well. I used 3/4” cabinet ply as a base for the boards, and attached them with a sh**-load of subfloor adhesive and trim head screws. Luckily the boards were all roughly the same thickness, so I just made a few passes over it with the handplane to smooth out the transitions from one row to the next. After I trimmed the boards flush to the plywood base, I went around the edge with a propane torch just for giggles. I think it adds a nice look. Then 5-6 coats of poly with very light scuff sanding (320 grit) between coats. Most of the joints were nice and tight but I added some wood filler in the nail holes and between boards, so that it would create a surface that’s easy to clean.
The legs are built from the 2×4 boards from the pallets, and the apron is some 1×4 pine stock that I salvaged from a demo job (using pocket screws to attach to the legs). I finished those using some black oil paint and a few coats of poly.
Not exactly fine woodworking, but I think pretty good for trash wood, a handplane, and a portable jobsite tablesaw. I’m real happy with it anyway.