|Project by Kevin May||posted 06-11-2012 01:08 AM||4987 views||69 times favorited||24 comments|
This isn’t much of a project, but I think it is a beneficial accessory to the RIGID oscillating belt sander that I believe many of you LumberJocks may have (I’ve seen it in many photos posted on LumberJocks). By adding this simple dust hood, the efficiency of the vacuum system is increased significantly.
There are five features that should be noted:
1. It can be removed in seconds, just by lifting off
2. There is a hinged door at the downstream drive pulley that allows access to that end of the belt if needed.
3. It is very light, so easy to handle
4. It is wood, so if by accident, it comes in contact with the belt, the belt can easily create a bit of clearance (I started out thinking I would build a metal dust hood).
5. It can be made from scraps laying around almost any shop.
The only item to note on the design that may not be obvious is the use of a split wood clamp on the dust port that is used to capture the slot in the mounting piece. I created the clamp by cutting a 2-1/2” hole in a 3/4” thick board, then splitting and adding 2 clamp screws. It is clamped on the dust port, allowing just enough clearance for the slotted board to slide into.
Hopefully this idea is useful to another LumberJock.
Have a great week.
-- Kevin May "Making wood useful and fun!" www.kevinmaywoodworks.com