|Project by tyvekboy||posted 812 days ago||4092 views||9 times favorited||10 comments|
June 11, 2012
If any of you own a bandsaw thatʻs about 40 years old, you know that back then they didnʻt make them with dust collection in mind. The lower wheel guard is so loose fitting that sawdust ends up every where.
This got me thinking of the following solution.
I didnʻt want to modify the original lower wheel guard so I used it as a pattern and cut a blank out of 3/4 inch plywood scrap. As you can see I added some wood around where the blade comes through the bottom of the table. I then located the holes through which the hanger posts would pass through the cover. The threads on the hangar posts are not very long so I had to allow for that.
What I did was I recessed a piece of stiff metal even with the back of the lower wheel guard and attached it with short screws.
There is a hole about 3/4 inch deep and about 7/8 inch in diameter on the front side of the lower wheel guard through which the knob is screwed to hold the guard.
The depth of the hole made the original knob that screwed on the hanger posts to hold the original lower wheel guard in place obsolete so these knobs had to be made. Notice the longer neck on my purple knob.
These knobs were made with a 3/8 inch coupling nut and piece of plastic that I fashioned that had a hex hole in the center and was snug enough to stay on the end of the coupling nut.
I then test fitted this assembly before proceeding.
I glued a flange to which a dust-right adaptor would be attached. The flange was cut out of 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood laminated together. To make this guard lighter I cut lightening holes in the 3/4 inch plywood leaving enough wood to glue a 1/4 inch plywood to cover the holes.
Here is a shot of the dust-right adaptor attached.
This is what the guard looks like with the 1/4 inch plywood attached.
This is what the inside of the finished guard looks like. To finish the guard I made a shroud out of some stiff metal that was custom fitted to get as close as possible to the lower frame of the bandsaw. The shroud was attached with short pan head screws. Then self adhesive weather stripping was attached to create a seal to minimize air leakage to improve better dust pickup around the blade. You can barely make out the black weather stripping in this photo.
This is the outside view of the finished lower blade guard. To make it prettier, I made a swirl pattern on the metal shroud with a tool that I had to fabricate.
Left side of the lower wheel guard installed.
Right side of the installed lower wheel guard.
All comments welcomed. Thanks for looking
-- Tyvekboy -- Marietta, GA