|Project by Eric||posted 06-05-2012 10:35 PM||5812 views||3 times favorited||18 comments|
Found this decayed cast iron garden bench at a garage sale for FREE!!
I disassembled it. I really wanted to sandblast, but I ended up just doing a simple wire brush on the iron. Next came the black paint. I glued the back of the bench together to use it for a template. That’s when I noticed the back was originally made for (2) 1×3’s jointed together. I did the same with 1×3 solid cedar. The back was the trickiest part. Getting the sweeping curve to match the curvature of the iron took some trial and error. Then as I was finishing the seat back, I noticed I needed to cut back the inside edged at about 10-degree to allow for the slope of the cast iron edge. A few wasted piece later and I had it together. Finally I slapped on 3 coats of oil based spar urathane and I’m done. I hope you like it. Not to bad for FREE. The only thing I purchased was the spar finish.