|Project by ChuckV||posted 06-03-2012 09:46 PM||1696 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
My sister-in-law asked me to make something for her. We were not sure what to call it, but decided on “reading slope”. It is kind of like a writing slope, but will be used for reading. In the place that she and her husband like to read, the light is such that they have to tilt the book up. The reading slope is meant to help with that.
We live on opposite sides of the US, so we sent ideas back and forth by email. She decided that she wanted the book tilted at about 30 deg, something to prevent the book from sliding off the slope, and storage space inside. We settled on this hi-tech sketch:
I used black walnut and joined the carcase with through dovetails. The piece that holds the book from sliding has some padauk in the center (this is seen in the fourth photo above). That piece is attached to the lid with two long tenons.
For finish, I used Danish Oil, de-waxed shellac, and then satin polyurethane.
Here are the components of the carcase before being glued:
Because of the slope of the sides, I had to come up with a way to apply clamping pressure to the top portion when gluing. Some small wooden handscrew clamps worked perfectly:
And in the end, it works!
-- “It was they who were wrong, and for them here's a song.” ― I. Anderson