|Project by jayman7||posted 05-28-2012 10:47 PM||5908 views||25 times favorited||18 comments|
I’ve been wanting to build one of these for a while after seeing so many people building them. It was easier than I expected. I pretty much followed this project/plans that I found online exactly except I increased the width by 4 inches.
Homemade drum sander
The actual pdf of the plan is at the bottom of the page but it can take a while to download. It’s laid out pretty well.
The MDF drum is just shy of 4” in diameter, which I cut on the bandsaw using a quick and dirty circle jig. I used about 1 dixie cup full of epoxy for the glue up. I roughened the shaft with some 60 grit sandpaper to give the epoxy something to bite onto. I was originally concerned about slippage between the drum and shaft but it feels pretty secure. I used the velcro conversion kit from Grizzly and worked out great, which also included several rolls of 120 grit sandpaper.
The frame is mostly 2×4s (which I jointed and planed) and plywood except for the areas that I thought needed to be stronger, where I used red oak and maple. I also pinned the lap joints with two dowels each for added reinforcement. I used a heavy duty piano hinge from Amazon for the motor and bed mounts. The bed is two layers of 3/4” plywood which I shellaced and waxed to make it extra slick. I added windows on the dust lid using scrap acrylic that I used for past picture frames.
I used a 2” pulley on the motor and 5” pulley on the shaft. The motor is a 1.5 HP 3750 RPM from harbor freight. I had to wire up the electrical cord using the included diagram but that was easy. Pillow blocks are from ebay. I used a 5/8” steel shaft from home depot which worked okay, but I suggest using a precision ground rod to minimize vibration and so it slides into the pillow block with ease. I had a lot of trouble sliding the rod into one of the pillow blocks and ended up pounding it into place. The vibration isn’t bad, but it’s enough to rotate the depth mechanism if it’s not tight enough. The linked belt from harbor freight helped but not as much as I wanted.
Total cost of the project excluding scraps I had around the shop: $308. The motor was half of the total cost since I couldn’t find a cheap one on Craigslist.
I can now say goodbye to tear out on figured wood and endless sanding sessions for end grain cutting boards!