|Project by fernandoindia||posted 05-27-2012 03:39 AM||4552 views||14 times favorited||51 comments|
Inés received a heirloom silver cutlery set from her husband family. (The one in the main photo is her mother, or SWMBO) The set had previously been divided between her husband´s family. They received a fancy shoe box with half of the original 12 piece set tidy individually wrapped.
Right. For sure I can make a chest for it.
Even I am by no mean an artist, I do not like building anything custom with all the details and specifications. The only condition accepted was to use a clear wood. So I just drank twice and start thinking about it.
Ines lives in Rio (Brazil). She asked my not to send any photos of the chest, until finished and delivered. So for the time being she doesn´t know the outcome of the project.
I started in April 3. Wood used are lignun vitae for cutlery dividers, ebony for the plugs, and wood of flooring which I am still in process of finding out what it is.
Measures (h x w x d) 30×43 x 37 cm ( 12” x 17 1/4” x 14 13/16”)
and each drawer 4×36x 30 cm ( 1 5/8” x 14 3/8” x 12”)
FInished with sealer an nitro laquer.
Quite frankly, I was not keen of G &G style. Watched some YT videos, surfed the web, and dove into LJ Thorsen Table Challenge entries, and finally decided to tackle a G&G stye. During the process I found Don´s blog on the Aurora table, that also helped a lot (Thanks everybody !)
A couple of years back, my wife found some flooring scrap in the street, and she just picked up and filled her minivan with all the wood she could. Still after some boxes made, there is some stock left.
Of course, the wood needed some cleanig, planning, and cutting to length..
After cleaning and planning the width barely was 3/8”. So I decided to try my new Rockler doweling jig and start making side and back panels.
I still use my ipaper sKetch up for designing. So far so good.
But I also found in the file section of a Yahoo G&G group, a good pdf sketch of a table, which I used to cut the cloud front divider.
But at the time of cutting to length the panel, I didn´t take into account where the dowels were. With such a fortune that after routing the raised panel the dowel popped out !!
So finally I found a place for the signature
Since the wood was only 3/8” , I glued 3 previously rounded pieces for the handles. At the end is pretty much easier than carving a whole piece.
I have a metric set of chisels. 6mm would be fine for the peg squares I thought. Didn´t account that there were only 38 small 6mm sqaures to mortise !!. Made the first 6 of the drawers.
Almost half an hour for the first one. OK. A more clever way should be around LJ or google. There I went.
I finally bought from Rockler a 1/4” mortiser chisel. What a breeze. I finished the mortises in half an hour.
The pegs are another story. As someone said, making 40 of anything is a pain in the A. Fortunaltely I found a Ytube video by William of http://wnwoodworkingschool.com/ explaining how to speed up the process with a drill and several grades of sanding paper. I use 220 up to 1500, and then a buffing wheel.
The lid has a small lock. And to simultaneously close the drawers, I included a rudimentary mechanism at the back. When the lid is closed, the drawers back are catched by the aluminium foil, and cannot be opened. Pretty simple. The drawback is that even if the lock is unlocked, you need to open the lid in order to open any drawer. So is a two step process.
I use some lignum vitae wood for holding the cutlery inside the drawers. I think it weights the same as all the chest.
This was the hardest and most time consuming part of all. Not cutting, but designing it. Actually was the first step. The dimensional of the chest and each drawer was a result of how the cutlery were to be ordered.
OK, that´s all folks,
Thanks for passing by
-- Back home. Fernando