LumberJocks

Set of three boxes

  • Advertise with us
Project by Andreas posted 05-25-2012 04:57 PM 1457 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This set of three matching boxes is made from red oak and birdseye maple. The phoenix carving was done for me by my neighbour with his cnc router.

All three boxes have BLO & Poly finish. I stained the oak on the small box, but I didn’t want the stain to bleed into the maple dovetail splines so I applied shellac to the dovetails to prevent the stain from penetrating.

The interior is lined with velvet on foam backing. Two boxes have black velvet and one has red.





5 comments so far

View Tokolosi's profile

Tokolosi

669 posts in 1051 days


#1 posted 05-25-2012 06:13 PM

Nicely done. The dual wood lids are very interesting.

-- “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” ~ JRR Tolkien

View juanabee's profile

juanabee

104 posts in 1704 days


#2 posted 05-26-2012 02:30 AM

Handsome boxes Andreas. Thoughtful design, eye-catching and useful. Thanks for posting.

-- "Life's nonsense pierces us with strange relation." Wallace Stevens

View Woodsong's profile

Woodsong

3 posts in 2111 days


#3 posted 05-26-2012 02:45 AM

Terrfic boxes. Could you expand a bit on how you did the velvet foam feature? Where and what adhesive ddyou use? thanks. Woodsong

View RogerBean's profile (online now)

RogerBean

1194 posts in 1649 days


#4 posted 05-26-2012 12:18 PM

Attractive boxes. Lovely merger of woods on the lid treatment. Nicely done.
Roger

-- "Everybody makes mistakes. A craftsman always fixes them." (Monty Kennedy, "The Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks", 1952)

View Andreas's profile

Andreas

43 posts in 1145 days


#5 posted 05-26-2012 12:22 PM

The velvet lining was done with five separate pieces (four sides and one bottom) which are all removable. I used 1/8” flexible foam that I found at a craft store. I applied spray adhesive on the back side of the foam and wrapped the velvet around it so that the foam was completely covered with the fabric. I did not put any adhesive on the front side of the foam or else the fabric would look rigid and lose the soft feel.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase