|Project by JeremyPringle||posted 05-23-2012 04:30 PM||1453 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
When I started my LJ profile, I told myself that I would only post my serious projects. Well, I decided that life is too short to not have any fun. Before, after and even during my large scale projects, I am constantly: turning pens (and other small commission items), making small boxes, testing tools, trying new methods, reading woodoworking books, sketching and planning my next project. I post very little of what I am actually doing. Time to change that.
A few years ago a friend of mine told me that he and his wife were going to the HP convention in Dallas. We all laughed at him… but inside I was dying of jelousy. A week later I had a week off and I made a deacons bench, with some scrap wood, I made a wand and a little box. I gave it to my friend when I got back, and we all had a little laugh. And Fladnag Wands was born! (I worked as a warranty administrator at a heavy duty diesel repair facility, and he was a tech. We pooled a bunch of money together and dared him to wave the wand at an engine while a customer was walking by and yell “Engine Repairo”... he refused)
Anyways, I am actually not very old. Having just turned 30, I am well within the age group to be a fan of HP. Over the last few years I have done a few HP related projects, but nothing substantial. Recently, some people I know started Pottermore, and I was sure to follow, and when you get started you get to buy a wand, and there is even a big write up on all the woods that make good wands, very interesting. I was asked to make a friends wand, and Fladnag was reborn. I asked another friend of mine to sketch up the logo, and he scanned it into his computer and printed me the stickers which I put onto the boxes. Then I make the wand. I prefer to turn the handle and the wand seperatly, and then attached them after. This one is mine. Black Walnut, 10 3/4. I used some really thin wire at the bottom of the handle and used 2 part epoxy to set it in. Then a few coats of amber shellac for the wand, and then 4 coats of spray clear shellac to finish it all off.
Now to find some Valyrian steel.