|Project by lumberjoe||posted 05-22-2012 06:47 PM||2573 views||0 times favorited||23 comments|
As usual, hash criticism welcomed! First off, i will say this is my best project to date. I am kind of impressed it came together at all. This is made from ambrosia maple, and is solid ambrosia maple, except for the back, which is 1/2 maple ply. I had a very limited supply of wood, so mistakes were not an option – although there are quite a few.The wood is beautiful, but hidden under medium walnut danish oil thanks to my customer (wife). It is very figured in parts. The top has birdseye in it. There is also a lot of worm holes and what look like deep scratches from the beetles. Instead of trying to hide them I accented them and used the pieces in the trim under the top. Looks terrible in pictures but cool in person
What I don’t like – The design. My design had a more substantial base that sort of resembled the top, and made the entire piece about 6” taller. My wife didn’t like it, therefore the overlap on the top and sides is way more than I would have liked
The color of finish. This wood was absolutely stunning. Now, not so much. I don’t like the color of the finish, but the quality of the finish came out really nice. 5 coats of danish oil, sanding inbetween and 3 coats of minwax fine finish wax
the mistakes The shelves aren’t perfectly flush with the face frame in parts. the molding on one side didn’t stay put when i glued it and is out from the side about 1/16”. It had already set by the time I noticed and I couldn’t fix it
What I do like
Well, it’s square, it’s flat, and it’s sturdy. It probably weighs about 60 lbs. I like the cove profile on the top with the ogee under it. Looks really nice in person. Every cut (except the profile on the top and the trim) was done on my new table saw. I didn’t use a miter or circular saw at all. Man, what a difference a decent table saw makes in speed and accuracy.
So here is another learning experience on showcase in my bedroom. hopefully one day when I am good at this, I can get a good chuckle out of it
Also don’t mind the floors in the picture. We just refinished our 3rd floor into a master bedroom. These hardwoods were under piles of crap. I bet the finish is from when the house was built in 1896.