|Project by sawdust55109||posted 05-19-2012 07:39 PM||4583 views||3 times favorited||6 comments|
The wife wanted to new cabinets and I was looking for a challenge. Little did I know how time consuming this project was going to be. At first I thought I’d just reface the carcasses and make new doors and drawer fronts. But the more I looked into it the more I thought it would make more sense for a total build.
YES, NEW APPLIANCES WILL BE INSTALLED.
The only thing left to do is make a molding for the top of the cabinets where they meet the ceiling soffit.
The carcasses are cherry plywood and the doors & drawer fronts are solid cherry.
One of the reasons this was such a time consuming project was that the solid lumber was all 4/4 rough that had to be milled and matched. You will note that nearly all of the door and drawer fronts are matched grain. On the bottom cabinets where there is a drawer over a door, I matched the grain so it has a nice flow.
Speaking of the drawer fronts, it took a couple attempts to get the look I wanted. The drawer fronts are made exactly like the doors in that they are a raised panel in a style and rail frame. I had to narrow the style and rail frame to 1” in order to get some semblance of a raised panel look. Personally I have never seen this type of drawer front before but I’m sure it’s out there somewhere.
The drawers are made from ½” birch using dovetails and also have a ½” melamine bottom. I really dislike the sound of those cheesey 1/8” bottoms when you throw something in a drawer. Nothing like the heavy “Thump” sound when you tap the drawer bottom.
The pantry cabinet has fully adjustable shelves that slide out and are also dovetail construction. They adjust vertically using special screws that go in standard shelf pin holes.
To make use of space in the corner cabinet, I installed a slide out mechanism that is really handy but WAY overpriced.
The trash can and all the drawers have the self-closing drawer slides which work well.
For the half wall I didn’t like the look of the plain oak so I did a simple ebony inlay on the top.
Tung oil was used to give it color and then I sprayed them with lacquer.
Countertops are Cambria.
I’m ready for a nice Ashton and a single malt after this one.