|Project by Ted||posted 574 days ago||3304 views||4 times favorited||13 comments|
Looking at how to improve my cheap ($65 used) Ryobi table saw, I threw together this sled and rip fence out of scrap lumber. I put a stop cleat at the right side of the fence so it will align with the slot for the sled tracks. Of course, I can set the fence aside if I have to.
It may look flimsy, but the rip fence is dead-on accurate. Note that I’m using the “heavy duty” Irwin Quick Grip, as their regular duty does not hold tight enough. I could use a c-clamp but it takes longer.
I also converted my cheap belt sander to a mini horizontal sander. The jig has a lip which clamps into the vice. I can use any thickness of a wood block to support the work piece, to use different parts of the sand paper. The belt sander just drops into place, no clamps or adjustments needed. I plug it into a switched outlet to turn it on and off, since the trigger is difficult to reach without lifting the tool out of the jig.
Some day I will re-do the table saw setup, as there are some things I should have done different. Mostly, I should have used straighter lumber for the sliding parts. But it works well as is. I figured anybody else out there, who is struggling with cheap power tools, might find this useful.
-- I'll grow up when ketchup bottle farts stop being funny.