|Project by jelleknikkers||posted 05-14-2012 06:56 PM||5146 views||16 times favorited||18 comments|
I’m invited by the MAD Museum in Stratford upon Avon (UK) to build a wooden Marble Machine with lifting system: It’s my second international Marble Machine project and the first one outside of the Benelux. (I live in the Netherlands)
This Marble Machine is fully made of wood except screws, nails, bells, guiding rails, plexiglass cover, etc. It has 3 lifters (conveyor belt, ring gear and crank lifter which is mounted on the ring gear lifter. Marbles will roll down along 9 different paths. The machine is equipped with a halfpipe shaped marble collector at the bottom, when a marble falls off track, it will always land in the halfpipe to roll back to the conveyor belt.
Building hours: 143
Number of marbles: around 50
Number of lifters: 3
Number of paths: 9 (without the connection chutes)
Dimensions: 150 cm X 58 cm X 98 cm (60 inch X 23 inch X 39 inch)
- Bell slalom, wooden funnel
Platform 2: (after yellow gear)Splitter:
- Branche to Lever lifter to Platform 3
- Spiral staircase and chute to Platform 1
- Rainbow tree
- Popsickle drop
- Seesaw with jingle bells path
- Double connection chute, Jump track and tambourine
- Double connection chute, Tipover and pinball drop
- Loop the Loop (with emergency exit, when a marble not make the loop, it will drop back to the halfpipe.
- Nail slalom (leading to tip-over)
- Connecting chute, Xylophone, Chimes track, slalom, drainhole to pinball drop
All paths will end in the halfpipe marble collector leading to the conveyor belt to platform 1.
Tools used: (machines only)
Band saw, scroll saw, circular saw, router, belt sander, drill press, cordless screwdriver, dremel, plexiglass bender, etc.
<iframe src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/m_JEURJGzQs” frameborder=”0” height=”315” width=”560”></iframe>
Update 15-05: Video embedded
-- My unique hobby http://www.marblerun.org