I built the basic bench 4 years ago. Until a few days ago, I have not incorporated all the changes/improvements. Here is the bench today and YES I consider it finished.
• 102” by 26 ½ “ Ash with pinned M&T Joints.
• Built from plans from Christopher Schwarz’s Workbench book.
• Benchcrafted Wagon vise. Highly recommended.
• Big wood vise screws for the leg and sliding vise.
• Plug strips under the corner vises to plug in tailed tools and lamps I converted to slide into the dog holes.
• All dog holes are ¾” round.
• Veritas Quick Release tail vise diagonally across from the Benchcrafted wagon vise. The reason for this is that the wagon vise dog holes are 4 ½ “ from the front of the bench. I wanted a way to work on small pieces close to the edge of the bench.
I have a bench that has been working well for 4 years. The improvements I have just finished have made it that much better. I glued a new end cap and additional piece along the length of the bench to accommodate the Veritas tail vise.
When all that was done, I flattened the bench and gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil.