|Project by William||posted 05-10-2012 01:23 AM||3246 views||1 time favorited||22 comments|
This was one of those evolving projects that took me a fair amount past what it was originally supposed to be. In the beginning, it was meant to only be a simple keepsake box for my daughter as a graduation gift.
Then it came into being that I was going to make two keepsake boxes. The second was for her best friend, who is almost like a sister to her.
Then the simple box idea grew from there.
The following photos will show how the boxes come apart.
This is my daughter’s box, completely closed up.
The two piece lids come off to reveal the top two small boxes.
Then those two smaller boxes can be removed to reveal a larger box under that.
Then that larger box can be removed to reveal the bottom box.
In this last photo, you can see how I cut the bottoms of the middle large box and the two top smaller boxes so that they would sort of nestle inside of each other.
After I thought to make these boxes this way I wanted to put their school initials and graduation year in scrolled letter on the side. I was also thinking around the same time about what style handles I wanted for the top lids. So I decided to scroll the lettering from three quarter inch material and use that for the lids. So “WCHS” makes up for one lid of a smaller box, and “2012” for the other.
After that, I still wanted something along the sides to sort of break it up. Then I figured that, since both of these girls will be sharing a dorm room in the fall at college, it would be a good idea for their initial to be on the side to tell them apart.
The darker wood is mahogany. The light colored wood is cottonwood.
It is finished with three coats of Minwax Polyurethane. For the final coat I tried something that I had read about and had been meaning to try. I read somewhere about mixing half and half polyurethane and denatured alcohol for a wet look. It turned out great. I don’t think the photos capture it, but when I went to check on them after allowing them to dry for about sixteen hours this morniing, I was scared to touch them. They looked like the finish was still wet. I checked first on the backside, but yes, the finish was dry as a bone. I will definately be trying this method on different woods in the future.