One of my more ambitious projects. The initial design came from a plan in the magazine Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts. The winner of their annual design contest had created a similar dragon box. Not satisfied with the level of detail, I set out to make it better.
I increased every dimension about 30% and made each fretwork piece far more intricate. The patterns for the dragons on the end and inside came from The Wooden Teddy Bear. The others I made myself.
The box consists of poplar frames holding bloodwood panels. The frames have a scrollsawn layer that sits over the solid piece which creates the effect of carved scales around the edges. All the poplar was colored with black stain, but black spray paint would have been far easier.