|Project by tracker||posted 02-28-2007 at 05:16 PM||5164 views||12 times favorited||21 comments|
Finally finished my workbench! Found some Ash in a bargain bin and added Jatoba to it for contrast.
The base has a bottom stretcher with pinned through tennons and there is a top stretcher that cannot be seen. The top is 3” thick 4/4 ash and 8/4 Jatoba turned on end glued in 4 sections—then a final glue up. I was going to flatten by hand but ended up taking it to the shop to run through the wide belt. Glad I did that as it came out REALLY nice and flat.
The biggest challenge was the finger joints on the ends. The end caps were done with a dado on the table saw but the 3.5” front aprons had to be roughed out on the band saw and them fitted them with a rasp and chisel.
I do not have the room in the shop to ‘float’ the bench out in the middle so I did not do an end vise but one could be added later as I did ¾” dogs all the way down the bench and then in front of the front vise.
-- Scott - Dallas, Texas