|Project by SteveMI||posted 05-02-2012 05:18 PM||1203 views||1 time favorited||11 comments|
These are basic 6” square by 3” tall boxes with 45 degree corners. I used a dado blade on the sides to insert the top and bottoms. I cut the top off after the corner glue dried. Woods used for the sides are Walnut, Cherry and Maple. The lid insert and bottom are Ash. The overlays are Bloodwood and Maple.
The lid designs started from experiments with double bevel cutting with a scroll saw. That ended up in an inlay. After a couple of weak fit situations I decided to try an “overlay” style and it didn’t come out too badly at all. these particular boxes had the overlay cut on a CNC with 1/16” spiral bit. No real reason a scroll saw couldn’t be used. I’ll post the real inlay double bevel box later.
Finish is spray can semi-gloss lacquer and Briwax. I intend to use Polyacrylic water based on the next set with a HVLP gun.
The Celtic Heart and Dove use colored stone from Michaels craft store which was posted in another project on LJ.
Glue up of the corners done with the blue tape method and worked great. Just need to have good 45s.
The 45s were cut with an Incra 1000SE on the table saw with the sides vertical. That took quite a bit of attention to initial calibration and setup at first. Any vertical variation on the miter fence results in fire pit fuel.
Sides started with 1” thick stock and then I cut them down to 1/2” walls, but left the lid top at the full 1” for 5/8”. Think about a letter “L” when done. All the dado and cuts were done before cutting the board to segments to miter. I used Titebond III for the longer open time. An early prototype box caused me an issue using Gorilla where the glue was setting too quick for my full assembly of the sides.
After a lot of false starts with hinges I came to the conclusion that for this size box hinges looked oversize unless I used the 5mm barrel hinges. A friend suggested tabs to keep the lid oriented and just have a lift off lid. So, I used some 3/16” sticks and cut triangles on the scroll saw. It was another big learning curve on getting the tabs located for a decent fit.
Thanks for looking.