LumberJocks

Picture Frames for Christmas 2011

  • Advertise with us
Project by Blackbear posted 05-01-2012 01:15 AM 1400 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

We had a great and rare family reunion the summer of 2011. I’m talking cousins I haven’t seen for 20 years! With the reunion fresh in my mind and trying to find something to make for Christmas yet again, I decided I would try to make some picture frames and then frame one of the group photos; 14”x7” after cropping.

I started off fairly plain (like my set of router bits). I used a router to shape an ogee into some scrap mahogany. The frames looked OK, but pretty plain. You can see one of the plain ones on my kerf key jig. After browsing the ‘net fairly substantially I saw some methods of making frames in multiple parts, then gluing them together. I gave that a whirl and the results were much better. I used a round over bit to make the cherry half round on the edge of a board (don’t have a bead bit yet) and then cut it off on the table saw. Then I carefully milled more mahogany on the router table with three different router bits to create the profile and also the half inch rabbet in the middle for the cherry half round. Then I used the table saw to cut out the rabbet in the back to hold the glass and pictures. Lastly I glued the cherry half round into the center rabbet on the front.

I tried to use the miter saw at first to cut the pieces at 45 degrees but I found much more repeatable results using a stop block on my miter gauge back at the table saw. I quickly learned to have a decent looking miter joint all the way around the opposite sides had to be identical in length (duh). I think the miters came out pretty good, although I definitely need more practice. I used a pony frame clamp I purchased online with decent results for glue up.

I also milled up some 4×6 frames as well. The mahogany I used for these was so pretty I just left it flat. I also tried a black walnut with curly maple inlay. The pony frame clamp I used for the bigger pictures did not adjust small enough to clamp these frames. After more ‘net perusing I found someone that was using rubber bands with success. I tried it and it worked fantastic. I used about 3 of the thicker rubber bands per frame while drying.

All in all I learned quite a bit and am planning on making some more frames for our home. My family liked them at Christmas time, although a big part of there joy was the picture contained within I’m sure. Also after making the kerf key jig, I didn’t even use it on the frames I handed out. It was far to close to Christmas and the finish needed time to dry! I will use it in the future though I’m sure.





2 comments so far

View Martyroc's profile

Martyroc

2708 posts in 958 days


#1 posted 05-01-2012 02:38 AM

Welcome to LJ’s, those are some good looking frames. The walnut combined with the curly maple made a great contrast, very nice.

-- Martin ....always count the number of fingers you have before, and after using the saw.

View workerinwood's profile

workerinwood

2708 posts in 1720 days


#2 posted 05-01-2012 01:37 PM

Very nice, great job!! Thanks for posting and welcome to LJ’s.

-- Jack, Albuquerque

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase