|Project by mgburr||posted 04-29-2012 10:31 PM||1686 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I started on this bowl a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a piece of Ambrosia Maple from the local WC and wanted to see what effect Danish oil would have on it. SWMBO had been working with a couple of pieces of it but didn’t want to loose the blue colored streaks from the ambrosia. worked out what kind of shape I wanted and tried my hand at a sharper skirt effect. I had taken my time in applying the Danish oil by a little bit every day to make sure it had time to dry before applying more. The maple was very dry and was pulling in the oil almost as fast as I could apply it. This weekend I finally was satisfied with the color and applied a hand wiped coat of wood workers poly finish. After applying a coat and drying, I buffed it out with a green srubby and applied another coat. I finished it off with the 4th coat. The tool marks were the hardest to hide as the oil brought up the fibers and required working it again to smooth it.
Edited to remove starting block photo.